(Pictured: Aspire Veranda)
A veranda is a structure built to the front, side or rear part of your house designed to provide you with shelter or used as a sun trap.
Types of verandas
It is rare to find verandas that are identical. This is because they tend to be customized to suit the owners’ needs. However, there are 2 main types of verandas;
Traditional or Victorian Veranda - Made from wrought iron, these verandas tend to have a roof containing glass panels and columns with quarter arches at the top.
Contemporary Veranda - Ideal for the more modern property, these sleek verandas have a durable, sleek aluminium structure, with either glass or polycarbonate roof panels.
The purpose of a veranda
Verandas usually often serve a variety of purposes, depending on the reasons and places fitted. The main reasons, however, are to provide an outdoor shelter where you can enjoy your outdoor area regardless of the weather conditions prevailing. Secondly, verandas enhance the look of your home. We can help you decide upon the best design to suit your property to provide a SunSpace that accentuates the look of your home.
The benefits of a veranda
You might be wondering why you should install a veranda to your home. Well, there are a variety of benefits to reap from the installation of a veranda:
- An additional room - An additional room is always a bonus for any family home. This added space can be used to put your feet up or even as a children's play area. This added space will serve as a great place to dine with the family and spend time with each other, just as your garden is in the summertime. You can also use the additional space for storage, where you can have peace of mind knowing your items are safe from the rain.
- Entertainment - Hosting social events is often a great challenge. The addition of the veranda provides all essential outdoor space under cover for those inclement British days. Ideal as a shelter from those scorching days (we hope!) or as protection for those breezy days, the veranda space can be used for dining requirements, for lounging requirements, or a place for the kids to play.
- Aesthetics - Ever noticed the difference between homes with verandas and those without? A house with a veranda looks complete and pleasing to look at. A veranda adds charm and a feeling of completeness to a house. Though verandas come in different styles, the end result is the same… the aesthetics are enhanced!
- Value - In terms of real estate, an exterior addition to a property most often makes the difference in prices. A veranda can boost the value of a house by up to £15,493.80. It not only improves the aesthetics of a house but it can also double up as an additional room.
- Space - Living with family is a wonderful experience, you get to watch your kids play around and also as they grow older. But sometimes you need a getaway place to reflect and do your work. A veranda provides the getaway space that you need! The additional space is ideal for enjoying a quiet time without the pressures of other family members. A veranda can also serve as an additional storage space for items like bicycles and toys.
With the information on verandas, it is prudent to fit one in your home. You will not regret the choice. Need further information on why you should choose a veranda for your home? Click below to contact us or view our range of Verandas!
Contact Us > Browse Verandas >
December has arrived, which means that it's time to deck the halls, hang the ornaments, and get your home ready for Christmas!
To that end, we've chosen a few of our favourite Christmas decorations from around the internet. These items will look great practically anywhere in your property, although we think they'll look particularly
perfect in your garden room
if you've got one!
We'll kick off with this very cute accessory from Cox & Cox - those sweet snowflakes would look great draped against the window of a garden room. We may not get a white Christmas this year, but frankly, we'd rather gaze at this curtain than struggle through a blanket of cold, slippery slush anyway.
Tartan Fabric Reindeer
It wouldn't really be Christmas without a reindeer, would it? Warm up your garden room with this fuzzy fabric reindeer, perfect for those cold winter evenings. We love this item and think it makes a great addition.
Antique Lustre Glass Baubles
Baubles are nothing new, of course, but their omnipresence at this time of year doesn't mean that they can't still look stunning. We love the vintage look (as we may have mentioned before
), and so these sumptuously smoky-looking ornaments are right up our street.
Snowman Tealight Holder
Lighten up Christmas in your garden room with this festive tealight holder - Ideal for dining and coffee tables when you need to bring a touch of cheerful warmth to your home.
Pine Cone Stocking Holder
Finally, we come to the ever-reliable Notonthehighstreet - why hang your Christmas stocking any-old-where when you could hang it off this gorgeous cast-iron pine cone ornament? This item's outdoorsy appeal would marry perfectly with a garden room setting.
Adding an extension to your home is a very rewarding endeavour, but it can also be extremely challenging. Extensions often require planning permission and extensive (no pun intended!) building work, all of which will add to the already sizeable cost of the materials themselves.
Fortunately, there is another way. We feel that SunSpaces garden structures
are the perfect alternative to standard home extensions; if you're looking for an easy, affordable
way to expand your living space, our stylish, modern extensions
may well be a perfect choice.
SunSpaces almost never require planning permission
In the vast majority of circumstances, our garden rooms can be installed without obtaining permission or consulting the local planning office beforehand. The only exceptions are listed buildings, conservation areas, and garden rooms that would encroach on property borders once built; if one of these applies to you, we recommend contacting the relevant planning authority before proceeding with the project.
You can build our garden rooms yourself - no professional help is necessary!
We specialise in DIY extensions, and even if you've no relevant experience whatsoever, you should find that constructing your garden room or veranda is a walk in the park. Each of our structures is supplied with a clear assembly guide and an instructional DVD to ensure that you know exactly what you're doing from start to finish. And if you'd rather leave the work to a professional, don't worry - we also offer a full, professional installation service!
Our glass extensions are very cost-effective
Not only will you save money on planning permission and professional contractors, but you should also find that your garden room itself costs noticeably less than if you'd bought the materials required for a full home extension. However, in spite of the reduced cost, your modern glass extension will still look fabulously stylish from the outside and feel wonderfully comfortable on the inside!
If you'd like to know more about SunSpaces, the products we offer, and the reasons why they're such a great alternative to normal home extensions, please get in touch today. You can also request a FREE design for your glass extension.
Having a practical and welcoming dining area in your home is essential, especially if you regularly entertain guests. Finding the best dining solution is often tough and most people want to make the most of their available space. Creating a SunSpace dining toom allows you to feel in touch with your garden and protected from the elements while you and your guests relax and share a meal.
Adding an outdoor dining room creates a homely feel to any garden, patio, or exterior space. The transparent and translucent roof options let in a huge amount of natural light. You can eat breakfast in the morning sun, dinner while watching the sunset or enjoy drinks while admiring the stars at night, all from the comfort of your SunSpace. Our CAD specialists will help you design an outdoor dining area that will optimise the available space that you have in your garden, so don't worry if your garden is an unusual shape or size.
We pride ourselves on offering a solution to all-year-round outdoor dining. Most of us totally dismiss the idea of eating outside as soon as the Autumn and Winter months come around. With SunSpaces' garden rooms there is no need to disregard the garden as an enjoyable and beautiful place to dine, at any time of the year.
Most of the garden rooms we offer require no planning permission and can be easily assembled without the need for builders, making them an incredibly hassle-free way to expand and enhance your dining room.
Why not accessorise your SunSpace with remote controlled lights and heaters to create a delightfully cosy atmosphere?
View our Outdoor Heaters here >
We are proud to provide additional outdoor space for enjoying time with loved ones. Order your Free brochure and 3D design to help transform your outdoor living space, or if you have any further questions.
Contact Us Here >
A veranda might not be the first type of home extension you’ll consider purchasing if you want to make use of your outdoor living space during the winter months, but that shouldn’t be the case. All of our verandas, including our Outlook and Outlook+, can be enjoyed during winter.
The Outlook Veranda Structure:
Outlook verandas are made with a very robust polycarbonate roof that can withstand up to 50cm of snow and comes in three beautiful finishes. There are also three guttering options to choose from, all of which are sure to stop water from pooling on top of your veranda. Structurally, your Outlook Veranda will withstand anything that British weather throws at it.
Using your Outlook Veranda during the winter months:
Arranging all of your garden furniture so that it's underneath your Outlook Veranda will not only prevent it from getting damaged by the elements, but it will also allow you to make use of your outdoor living area for much longer, if not all year round.
Sunspaces stock a range of accessories that will help you enjoy your Outlook Veranda through the winter months, including:
- Lighting – which can be remotely controlled, and will allow you to enjoy your outdoor space long into the dark winter nights.
- Heating – SunSpaces stock a range of different outdoor heaters, including a heater with integrated speakers that can be controlled via a remote control or an app on your phone! Perfect for hosting a party during the winter months.
By installing an Outlook Veranda, you lose none of your garden views and can really make the most of your outdoor space. They are one of the most simple and effective ways to enhance open air living whatever the weather.
Does an Outlook Veranda sound like the SunSpace for you? Take a closer look at them by clicking the button below:
View Outlook Verandas >