Verandas are quickly becoming the one thing that every British homeowner wants in their garden. In a recent survey, we asked 400 people what they would most like to add to their outdoor spaces, and of the 16 available options, 'Veranda / Sheltered Area' was the most popular answer. That's right: it seems that verandas are now even more highly sought-after than hot tubs!
Demand for verandas and garden rooms has been through the roof since the UK locked down in response to the first wave of COVID-19 cases last spring. The government's 'stay at home' rules left many people seeking a way to enjoy a feeling of escape without leaving the house, and adding a veranda is a great way to create an outdoor sanctuary that's a world away from the chaos of the kitchen table that's now also a home working space. (Read our case study to find out how a couple from Salisbury overcame their remote working fatigue with the help of a SunSpaces veranda.)
Pictured: Aspire Glass Veranda
With so many Brits now adding verandas to their homes, you may be wondering what you can do to make your garden veranda stand out from the crowd. To that end, here are 5 quick veranda decor ideas from the SunSpaces team - we hope these tips will help to get your inspiration flowing!
On a hot summer day, it's always a relief to open the windows and let the fresh air circulate through your home. If you're thinking of adding a veranda or sunroom to your property, our optional sliding roof system is well worth considering - the sliding panels make it easy to ventilate your garden room and really welcome the sunshine in!
(Pictured: Aspire Veranda)
A veranda is a structure built to the front, side or rear part of your house designed to provide you with shelter or used as a sun trap.
Types of verandas
It is rare to find verandas that are identical. This is because they tend to be customized to suit the owners’ needs. However, there are 2 main types of verandas;
Traditional or Victorian Veranda - Made from wrought iron, these verandas tend to have a roof containing glass panels and columns with quarter arches at the top.
Contemporary Veranda - Ideal for the more modern property, these sleek verandas have a durable, sleek aluminium structure, with either glass or polycarbonate roof panels.
The purpose of a veranda
Verandas usually often serve a variety of purposes, depending on the reasons and places fitted. The main reasons, however, are to provide an outdoor shelter where you can enjoy your outdoor area regardless of the weather conditions prevailing. Secondly, verandas enhance the look of your home. We can help you decide upon the best design to suit your property to provide a SunSpace that accentuates the look of your home.
The benefits of a veranda
You might be wondering why you should install a veranda to your home. Well, there are a variety of benefits to reap from the installation of a veranda:
- An additional room - An additional room is always a bonus for any family home. This added space can be used to put your feet up or even as a children's play area. This added space will serve as a great place to dine with the family and spend time with each other, just as your garden is in the summertime. You can also use the additional space for storage, where you can have peace of mind knowing your items are safe from the rain.
- Entertainment - Hosting social events is often a great challenge. The addition of the veranda provides all essential outdoor space under cover for those inclement British days. Ideal as a shelter from those scorching days (we hope!) or as protection for those breezy days, the veranda space can be used for dining requirements, for lounging requirements, or a place for the kids to play.
- Aesthetics - Ever noticed the difference between homes with verandas and those without? A house with a veranda looks complete and pleasing to look at. A veranda adds charm and a feeling of completeness to a house. Though verandas come in different styles, the end result is the same… the aesthetics are enhanced!
- Value - In terms of real estate, an exterior addition to a property most often makes the difference in prices. A veranda can boost the value of a house by up to £15,493.80. It not only improves the aesthetics of a house but it can also double up as an additional room.
- Space - Living with family is a wonderful experience, you get to watch your kids play around and also as they grow older. But sometimes you need a getaway place to reflect and do your work. A veranda provides the getaway space that you need! The additional space is ideal for enjoying a quiet time without the pressures of other family members. A veranda can also serve as an additional storage space for items like bicycles and toys.
With the information on verandas, it is prudent to fit one in your home. You will not regret the choice. Need further information on why you should choose a veranda for your home? Click below to contact us or view our range of Verandas!
Contact Us > Browse Verandas >
Here at SunSpaces, we make it easy to purchase and install a stylish new veranda. Our sales team will help you through the entire process; our products are supplied with easy-to-follow assembly guides and instructional DVDs. We even offer a full installation service if you'd rather leave the job to the professionals. The only hard part is deciding how you'll decorate your new veranda. Fortunately, we can provide some assistance on that front, too.
- Add stylish flooring - Have you given any thought to the flooring material that you'll be using underneath your veranda? The SunSpaces team can offer a range of attractive options in this category - click here for information on our full range of products.
- Buy Luxurious outdoor furniture - In order to get the most from your veranda, you'll want to add some furniture that will allow you to lounge, dine, and generally relax under that contemporary canopy.
- Coloured shades and blinds - Add a splash of colour and keep the sun at bay with our attractive veranda sunshades! These can be supplied in a number of different colours - for example, the owner of the veranda pictured below chose red and white to match the cushions on their garden sofa.
- Lighting - Create a soft and glowy or bright and beautiful atmosphere in your veranda using products from our lighting range.
These are just some of the veranda design options we can offer here at SunSpaces. We pride ourselves on offering a completely bespoke service to every customer - click here
to request a free veranda design and brochure, or call 029 2080 3755
to discuss your project with a member of the SunSpaces team.
Now that spring has officially arrived, we are hoping that you're looking forward to spending some quality time out in your garden with your loved ones. If the end of winter hasn't made you think about what changes you are going to make to your garden over the coming months, then maybe today's blog post will inspire you!
Our installation team recently completed a job for one of our customers in Hertfordshire.
As you can see, the black veranda complements their garden perfectly, and the customer even has a cute table and chairs out there, ready for morning tea outside in the sun!
Our verandas add a beautiful, modern finish to any garden, and coupled with the fact that they are sturdy and weatherproof, it is easy to see why our verandas are such a popular choice with our customers. Here at Sunspaces, we want to provide every customer with a product that fits perfectly into their outdoor living space, be it a veranda, a garden room, or a free standing veranda; this is why we offer so many different options. Whatever you want out of your veranda or garden room, we are confident we can provide it.
If you like what you see then email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about our products; alternatively, you can click here to request a free, no-obligation veranda design.